Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Wednesday, June 1, 2022

It's Only A Day Away

  

  I recently discovered author, artist and blogger,  Austin Kleon.  He’s the author of Steal Like an Artist and  Show Your Work.  His newsletter is genius.  It’s always 10 things worth sharing.  It is a quick read unless you choose to extend it by clicking on one of its plethora of links.   He shares comments of music, art, literature, food, places etc.  Warning:  Austin doesn’t write Christian content, he is occasionally controversial and/or offensive.   

  Last week, I chose to read his blog entitled Would I do it Tomorrow?  In an effort to control his schedule, he suggests moving every request and/or task to “tomorrow”.  “Tomorrow makes decisions simple…”  If you would drop everything to honor a request or do a task tomorrow,  your answer is a simple yes.  If not,  stop and consider.  

   This advice seems especially applicable to life as a believer.  In light of eternity, we should evaluate every project, plan and opportunity with eternal value in mind.  How would our schedule change?  Is that project worthy of my time tomorrow?  Would I move my plans around to accommodate that invite tomorrow?  Is it worth cancelling something else to do that tomorrow?  Can I drop everything tomorrow for this? 

  If we employed this train of thought,  applied it to every decision,  how would our priorities change? 

   Looking back over my last week,  I was shocked to find that three tasks would have been utterly abandoned.  They were prior commitments that I would have declined if I had considered doing them within twenty-four hours. When I accepted them,  May 20th seemed a long way off.    Two time consuming errands would have been eliminated.  One task was a requirement of life on earth,  oil changes are necessary evils.  Only one item listed in my planner would have been a definitive YES.   Thought provoking to say the least. 

  Look at your calendar and/or to-do list;  past and present.  Categorize your entries. 

·       Which of these have eternal value? 

·       Which ones are worth cancelling everything else?

·       Which are required of life on earth?

 Prior commitments need to be fulfilled,  but can you put a stop to them and remind yourself not to say yes in the future?  Eliminate things you would never say yes to again.  Put “tomorrow” in place of the date or deadline you are asked to consider.  

    Comment at TonyaAnn,Writer on facebook  with your thoughts or insights!     

No comments:

Post a Comment