Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Two

   I love to read, it really transports me to other worlds.   I can smell and hear what’s going on. Different characters have different voices in my head.  The Israelites and I are living in the Promised Land under the rule of King Hezekiah.  As I read and studied through 2 Chronicles 32 and the book of Micah, it occurred to me that the “Promise Land” wasn’t always peaceful.  Nor was it just fun and games and love and easy street.  The Promise Land of Moses had it’s share of trouble, confusion, divisiveness and heartache. 

  Today, the King of Assyria, Sennacherib, got very vocal.  I will not dignify his words by reprinting them here, (2 Chronicles 32:10-19) but he had some nerve.  He actually tells the people to ignore their King and his words. Worse, he insults God by proclaiming that no other gods had saved people from him so the God of Israel can’t and won’t either.  His perseverance and decibel level begins to affect the people.  However, King Hezekiah and Prophet Isaiah “cried out in prayer to Heaven”.  Spoiler alert: (verse 22) “So the Lord saved Hezekiah and the people of Jerusalem from the hand of Sennacherib, King of Assyria and from the hand of all others.  He took care of them on every side.”  "On every side,  took care of everything they needed. In other words, God provided, guided, protected and gave them rest.  

   As I watch the nightly news, I am heartbroken at our overall citizenry and their actions, including our government.  While I have heard only one newscaster verbally insult God by name, the undercurrents and the actions of so many are certainly insulting. The scourge of Covid 19 and the destruction of our cities has seemingly had no spiritual effect on people; still, they will not call out to God.  I confess that I often feel like we are hopeless.  But this story offers me hope.  Often, I read that the kings would call the entire nation to pray but this time, two was enough.  Because two men “cried out to God”, they were heard and God answered. 

   I needed to know that.  I needed to know that in the midst of this chaos and confusion, if I do my part, if I cry out to God, He will hear and answer.  The same power that raised Christ from the dead dwells in Me!  And You!

Think about crying out to God today for our country.   That’ll make two of us!  

No comments:

Post a Comment