Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

IF for "my people"

  In 1980,  Jack Hayford penned a worship chorus entitled Majesty                      (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaRwD2Y7C0s).  Ten years later, he published a “meditation” manuscript called Moments with Majesty.  It features nine short essays for each themed month. Over the years, I’ve pulled it out and read bits and pieces of it. In March, I pulled it out again and started reading two or three selections every Sunday.  Three entries from July’s section are ideally relevant for today. My next three posts will be based on these entries.

    In Ronald Reagan’s first inaugural address, he tells the story of a WWI soldier who died in battle.  The soldier’s diary was found underneath his body.  On the flyleaf of the diary, he wrote, “I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the issue of the whole struggle depended on me.”  Let that sink in a minute.  What if?  What if we believed the salvation of our nation depended entirely on me. . . and you?

   Four scriptures suggest it might.    In 1 Timothy 2:1-3, we are commanded, not urged, mandated to pray for our country, “for Kings and all those in authority”.  All those in authority include those we disagree with. 

  The much quoted 2 Chronicles 7:14 offers us opportunity to pray “If my people”.  Notice, “if” we can choose not to pray.

    We are empowered to pray by the Holy Spirit according to Romans 8:26 “.  We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us.”  I can certainly attest that I do not know how to pray for this mess.

  And finally, we will see victory.  There are many examples of answered prayer in the Bible but thnkin’ about the story of Jehoshaphat.  In 2 Chronicles 20, Jehoshaphat calls his nation to prayer as they face an overwhelming foe.  Verse 24 says, “When the men of Judah came to the place that overlooks the desert and looked toward the vast army, they saw only dead bodies lying on the ground, no one had escaped.”   They hadn’t even fought yet, and it was over. 

   Last week I asked you to join me in prayer.  This week I’m suggesting you have no choice if you are a child of God.  Think about joining me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment