Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Thursday, April 21, 2022

Table for 12 Revisited

 

    Three years ago I attended a program at my church on Good Friday. Journey to the Cross was an interactive stop at several stations depicting Holy Week. The last supper station sent me to research and introspection that led to a blog post turned CBN article publication turned part of my first book,  Inside Story. ( both available at tonyaann.com; blog dated 03/31/2021)

    The catalyst for that piece stemmed from my accidental seating at the Last Supper station at the place setting of Judas. This year I purposely sat at Judas’ seat,  I sought it out.  I sat at Judas’ seat to consider his thought process.

    Judas appears last in all listings of the disciples. It is widely accepted that he was among the last chosen, if not the final one. He came into the group like all the others, not from a noble background,  no religious influence,  humble beginnings. Like all the others, Judas was privy to Jesus’ private teachings,  his routines, and his deity.  Like the others, Judas saw the miracles of Jesus and preformed them himself.

    We don’t know why Judas,  after three  years with Jesus took a mite tobetray him. Some Biblical scholars believe Judas was never a believer,  some say his greed finally got the best of him,  but all agree,  he was part of God’s sovereign plan.

   As Judas sat in the most honored seat next to Jesus, was he so sure of himself that he believed Jesus didn’t know what he had done? That would have lasted only  a few minutes as Jesus pointed out a betrayer was in the room and was sharing his bowl. Did Judas squirm uncomfortably? Was he embarrassed?  How did his eyes meet Jesus’?  I suspect he kept his head down and ate fast. When Jesus washed his feet,  I imagine he couldn’t watch, and his feet prickled with heat and crawling skin.   

   I chose to sit in Judas seat so I could remember. I wanted to remember not just the body and blood. I wanted to, needed to,  be reminded that God knows what I’m going to do in each situation, but he also will allow me to change my direction. We’ve heard repeatedly that Jesus is the God of second chances,  Judas had at least three chances during that Passover meal  to change his trajectory. I believe at any point he could have made a different choice. Confessed, returned the money,  chosen to die with Jesus.

    The plan for salvation would not have changed,  Jesus would still have died for us but Judas’ part in the story could have been different.

   I sat at Judas’ seat because I’ve been studying Sovereignty. Judas’ seat at the table,  his clean feet,  his conversation with Jesus was the ultimate picture of mercy.  Jesus continually offered it to Judas,  as he does to us.  

    Sit next to Jesus for a moment today, talk to him honestly about the times you have been unfaithful to him, ask forgiveness and let him bathe you in mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment